Attention College Students: Almonds Can Make You Smarter
College students, did you know that almonds can make you smarter? Okay, so that might not be 100% scientifically proven, but it is true that almonds are one of the smartest things that you can eat as a college student, for a variety of reasons.
Here are our top 5 reasons why you should make almonds your new go-to snack:
- Almonds Improve Blood Sugar Levels – High carbohydrate, sugary snacks cause blood sugar to spike, followed by a blood sugar drop soon after that can leave you in an energy slump—often referred to as a sugar crash. Almonds, on the other hand, help to regulate your blood sugar levels after meals and keep your glucose and insulin levels from going too high. They are one of the best things you could nibble on before a huge standardized test or study session, ensuring you’re not tempted to put your head down on the table for “just a second.”
- Almonds Are Convenient – Almonds can be eaten on the go, and don’t require any special storage, so you can hide them places where your roommate won’t steal them. There isn’t an excuse for skipping breakfast anymore!
- Almonds Reduce Hunger and Curb Weight Gain – The “Freshman 15” is an actual phenomenon that results from students overeating under newfound levels of stress, exacerbated by being away from home. Unfortunately, many undergraduates end up grabbing the first thing they can find to munch on—usually junk food. Alcohol intake and weird sleep schedules further aggravate the situation—and before you know it, you’re packing on unnecessary poundage. By snacking on almonds, students can actually reduce hunger by eating something that not only keeps you fuller longer but will actually reduce stress levels, too! (See below)
- Almonds Can Reduce Stress – Almonds lower cholesterol, which in turn lowers blood pressure. Even if the causation between almonds and less stress cannot be proven, almonds contain heart-healthy fats, muscle building protein, antioxidant vitamin E, and nutrient-rich magnesium, all of which can contribute to a sense of well-being that can lower stress. Keeping your protein levels high and avoid getting “hangry!”
- Almonds Can Make You Smarter — According to a recent study from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, there is actually scientific evidence that almonds can make you smarter! Almonds, avocados, and other certain foods with monounsaturated fatty acids play an important role in intelligence, namely in brain organization. Participants in the study had MRI scans of their brains, their blood monitored and were administered general intelligence tests. Those with more MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acids) in their diets had better neural networks in the parts of the brain responsible for organization and attention span. Almonds are also rich in protein, which can help you perform better on mental tasks, and are loaded with B and E vitamins, both known to boost brain health and memory.
Whether they are filling in for a missed breakfast or keeping you going during back to back classes, almonds are a smart choice!
With a reputation for honesty, commitment, integrity, and above all, quality, Select Harvest USA is one of the leading almond growers, processors, and distributors in the United States. They grow and harvest almonds in California, in the heart of the Central Valley. They have over 30 years of experience growing and processing almonds and market directly to over 55 countries worldwide. Their practices are both regulated and sustainable—in fact, Select Harvest uses recycling, electric vehicles, and solar power in the distribution of their almonds.
For more information about Select Harvest and what’s going on in the wide world of almonds, click here.